Pages

Saturday, March 30, 2013

45 vs. 40

I recently had the opportunity to put some rounds through a Glock 21. I had never given much consideration to .45 ACP Glocks. I don't typically buy into the "bigger is better" line of thought when it comes to wound ballistics...and I still don't. But I do buy into the "if it shoots better, it shoots better" line of thought. I have a lot of time behind .40 S&W handguns, it has just always been what I ended up shooting. I have a marginal amount of time behind 9mm handguns, and I like them well enough but I could always source more .40 S&W than I could 9mm, so I stuck with .40. Just through happen stance I got my hands on Gen2 Glock 21. The original intent was to do a series of post on modifying the Glock, and thought the Glock 21 would make a good host. Before I did anything, I shot it, and decided I liked it. My splits on the 21 are running in the low 0.20's on a USPSA A-zone at 7 yards. Best I can usually do with a Glock 22 is mid to high 0.20's. My 9mm times run in the low 0.20's and high teens. In all honesty, it caught me completely off guard to shoot the .45 that fast. I thought it would be the opposite. But it is what it is. Might just mean the demise of my .40 cal. handguns. Plus, I can actually find .45 ammo right now.

2 comments:

  1. I'm an anything but a 40 guy an 9 is cheaper. I never did understand that round.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am turning into that. Before I could source .40 easier and cheaper than anything else, but with the recent craziness that is no longer the case. Locally, there isn't much difference in price between 9mm, .40 and .45 either. They all run about $25 a box when you can find any, and it has actually been easier to find .45 than anything else...so for now it is .45 :)

    ReplyDelete