Pages

Thursday, August 23, 2012

Speedloaders and what goes in them.

I have decided to run HKS speedloaders for now. Mostly because I can find them locally and I like to support local business. I know I can order Safariland speedloaders online, and I truly feel they are the better speedloader, but then I wouldn't be supporting local business.

For the time being, as a carry round I will be using Federal's 158gr +p LSWCHP. It isn't the latest and greatest tech, but there were some sitting around at the house so it is what I am using for the moment. Once I shoot them all up, I will start looking at some other options.

Once thing I have noticed, it is more difficult to reload the LSWCHP with the speedloader than it is the RNL rounds I have been using for practice.

I have also given thought to how I accomplish my reload. There are apparently a lot of different ways to skin this cat. On the front end, I was thinking that one of the techniques that allows me to keep my shooting hand on the gun at all times would be the best. Then I realized a problem. I carry my tac light in my left front pocket, this would be the same pocket the speedloader would go in since I don't plan on using a speedloader pouch for concealed carry. If I dump a speedloader in that same pocket it gets crowded pretty fast. On top of that when I stick my hand in the pocket to get the light, or the speedloader, I have to try and figure out which is which. So I decided to run the speedloader in right front pocket, which means I can't use my left hand to execute the reload. Oh well. Now I am just trying to decide if I want to use my left thumb to activate the ejector rod and eject the fired brass, or use the whole hand and do that step with the gun still in my shooting hand. Right now I am leaning towards using the thumb once I have transitioned the gun to the left hand, but I will to put it on the clock and run it some more to really decide.

Other than that, I feel like my technique is coming together pretty well. I just need to put some more rounds through the gun. It has been a slow couple months from a shooting perspective.

4 comments:

  1. SL variant speed loaders are my favorite (you can order them from www.bobmacs.com). They are spring loaded and just push to load. I also like to use Hornady FTX for my reloads regardless of what I load in the cylinder because of the pointy nose. Speed strips are much easier to carry of course you just have to hope you never have to load while someone is shooting back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard about SL variant speedloaders and seen pictures online, but never have seen one in person. Guys seem to like them though, so I am sure they are good. I just can't find them locally and I would like to support my local retailers if at all possible. If or when I get a dedicated competition gun I may start looking into some more suitable competition gear, but for now I will stick with the HKS loaders.

    The FTX idea is actually a really good idea. I have been considering carrying something a little easier reload than the LSWCHP's I have been using.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, they are Hornady critical defense same idea though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew what you meant, and the box also says FTX on it :)

    If they ever make Critical Duty in .38 special that would be an option too.

    ReplyDelete