Pages

Monday, August 27, 2012

First Rounds Downrange

Somehow I missed posting about my first rounds through the gun. I was at the range a few weeks ago for a reason other than shooting my new revolver, and only had about 35 rounds of .38 special with me. I decided I might as well function check the gun and start getting a feel for it.

I started off running the 5^5 drill on 3"x5" index cards. This has kind of turned into one of my standard drills because I need to work on pretty much all aspects of shooting at a low percentage target and this serves as a decent benchmark.

I stapled up a paper USPSA target and did a walk-back drill. I made it back to 15 yards and was right at the bottom of the head A-Zone, then stepped back to 25 and dropped two below the head box (this would foreshadow things to come).

Since I unsuccesscully shot at the head box from 25 yards I decided to put it on the timer and see how I could do shooting at the torso A-Zone. Pretty much, not so hot. After that I stepped it back to 50 yards and fired one round just to see if I could hit paper...surprisingly I did.



I obviously have a lot of work to do with this gun. I generally wouldn't have that much trouble getting the hits I want. I have a feeling there is going to be a pretty steep learning curve. I haven't been able to get back on the range with it yet, but hope to in the next couple of weeks. I have my fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment