Pages

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Apples to Oranges...or actually Fruit Bats

I posted a link to my pistol comparison idea on arguntrader.com (great place, if you are local to Arkansas check it out) and a user over there (Ken) commented that I was comparing "apples to fruit bats" with my LC9 vs G22 test. I pretty much am, although keeping the comparison analogy inside the fruit realm would technically be more correct because I am after all comparing two pistols.

Here is why I am doing this test. The G22 is the quintessential duty pistol for American based law enforcement. There are of course other pistols used by law enforcement agencies, but the Glock is almost an "industry standard" type of pistol in that regard. The LC9 is basically the same for most conceal carry pistols, it is about the same size of what most people are carrying or want to carry these days (that is why the M&P Shield is such a big deal isn't it?).

The question is, how much performance difference is there between your typical fullsized duty pistol and your typical sub-compact carry pistol? I am going to go out on a limb and say that capacity issues aside it is not that significant. We will see though.

So far the tests that have been recommended and ones that I am adding myself are:

1) El Pres
2) "300"
3) Federal Air Marshal COF
4) Defoor Pistol Tests
5) Dot Torture @ 7yd
6) IDPA Classifier
7) Bill Drill
8) Arkansas State LE COF

For the tests that are pass/fail (like the Defoor tests) I will keep a record of actual time, not just pass or fail.

If you are only interested in "apples to apples" comparisons, check out this post on pistol-training.com where ToddG talks about shooting his G26 compared to the G17 that he normally carries. That would be a true "apples to apples" comparison.

No comments:

Post a Comment