Pages

Saturday, March 24, 2012

Mental Discipline

I think mental discipline is a big part of shooting. Every time the trigger is pulled there is a decision process that precedes the physical action. Am I seeing what I need to see? Can I execute the necessary trigger control? How fast can I execute the necessary trigger control? The consequence of these decisions is whether or not the bullet hits the target.

I have been thinking about my last couple matches and some of the pistol drills that I put a lot of emphasis on being good at and I have come to the conclusion that I have very poor mental discipline. What I mean is, I do not see what I need to see to make the shot that I need to make. I get in a hurry because I want to go fast and I get too rough of a sight picture, or not one at all and miss which is no better if not worse than being slow.

I have been trying to come up with a way to fix the problem and force a greater level of discipline. The only thing I have been able to come up with is accepting no less than 100% accuracy on all my pistol drills, and in all the IDPA matches I shoot. So for the next couple months I am not going to allow any misses on the drills I shoot, and if I do miss there will be a penalty, like 5 burpies per miss or something. When I go to my next IDPA match in April my goal is to have zero points down and at the end of the match for each point down I have to run 1 mile. I dropped something like 37 points at my last match. I better not do that again.

I imagine this will slow me way down on some drills and most definitely at the IDPA match, but that is the whole point. I like shooting fast, I try to shoot fast, so making myself slow down in an environment where every bone in my body wants to go as fast as possible I hope will help strengthen my mental discipline and in the long run I will be a better shooter for it. I think in the short term it is going to be pretty painful.

No comments:

Post a Comment