Pages

Saturday, February 18, 2012

Alternative Lubrication Options

While I was at the local indoor range a while back I was listening in on a conversation between the range manager and one of the customers about a new lubricant that Wilson Combat was selling for 1911s. The owner of the range compared it to gear oil, like what you would use in a manual transmission or a differential. Being a guy that has a 30 year old truck with a manual trans as a daily driver, I knew exactly what gear oil was like and it struck me that gear oil just might make a pretty decent firearm lubricant.

So I went down to the local parts store and picked up a bottle of Royal Purple 75w-90. I am not an engineer, but it is my understanding that synthetic oils that have two oil weights listed like the Royal Purple function like the lighter of the two at room temp, and function like the heavier of the two at operating temp. I am not certain a handgun will reach and sustain a high enough temperature for it to make a difference, but it will be interesting to see what happens. I typically run a pretty light gun oil (Gun Slick Ultra Lube), so this is a departure from the norm for me and my guns. If it doesn't work, I guess I know what I will be putting in my truck's rear diff at the next service interval.

3 comments:

  1. Very interesting. I can't see a reason it wouldn't work fine. Can you dispense it in small quantities from that big container? I have been experimenting with grease in my revolvers, but had not thought of gear oil.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I put some in an old CLP bottle that I washed out really well before hand. It is pretty viscous stuff, but has that typical gear oil odor that I don't like. I am running it on the Beretta, and also on a shotgun I picked up recently. I will see how it runs on those before using it on everything else.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I am not really all that pleased with the gear lube on the 96D. I put a couple hundred rounds through the gun over the past week and the oil dried up pretty quick and didn't stay where I wanted it to. Back to Gun Slick for the 96D.

    On the shotgun however it seems to be working fine. I ran a hundred or so rounds through the shotgun and the lube seems to be staying put better. Not sure what the difference is between the 96D and the shotgun, but I will keep running it on the shotgun.

    May try it on an AR-15 soon too.

    ReplyDelete