Once I had a little breathing room I ran through the Press Six drill at 10ft because it became apparent that my press out sucked pretty bad and needed lots of work. I dropped 6 rounds, 2 were due to a brain fart on dot #3 when I thought I had to get 2 rounds in 2 seconds (I obviously missed both). Otherwise I probably would have only dropped 4.
The range really cleared out after I got done with Press Six (I guess everyone's lunch break was over) so I took the opportunity to run some Bill Drills on a 8.5"x11" blank sheet of paper to record split times and see where I was at. The last time I ran Bill Drills with my G22 this was the target I used, and I wanted a direct comparison for the 96D. My average split time with the G22 was 0.27 seconds. My previous average split time with the 96D was 0.37 seconds. This time around it was 0.30 seconds. My fastest split was 0.25, of which I had 5. I had 20 splits under 0.30 seconds. I had a few average killers that were 0.40 plus. Modest improvement I guess.
I followed the Bill Drills with an attempt at the pistol-forum.com drill of week. I didn't do near as good as I thought I should have, especially considering I had just spent over half my range session working on the press out. I ran the drill from a high compressed ready.
1st Attempt - 5/9 hits - 3.85 (-1), 3.20, 3.48
2nd Attempt - 6/9 hits - 3.28, 2.99 (-1), 2.82 (-1)
3rd Attempt - 7/9 hits - 3.02, 3.14, 2.61
4th Attempt - 7/9 hits - 2.69, 3.41, 2.55 (-1)
Aggregate score - 25/36
I only passed twice (3rd & 4th attempts, thanks to ToddG for the clarification). I had one shot over time on every other string of fire, plus the 4 misses. I think this drill is right at the edge of my performance envelope, and will be a good drill to push for completing successfully to get through that barrier. It is easy enough to perform, and since it uses a PAR time I don't have to worry so much about other being on the range at the same time.
The other big news is the 96D had its first malfunction in the 2k round challenge. It was a fail to feed and round #5 into a Bill Drill, round number 950 of the challenge. Below is what the malfunction looked like, although not the actual malfunction. I didn't think of taking a picture of it when it happened, so set it up later for a picture.
I am now 1,012 rounds into the challenge, and have 2,208 rounds through gun in total.
I hit the dryfire practice today (the first in a while) since I was so disappointed in my pressout, and to work reloads. I ran out of ammunition at the range before I got to them yesterday. I am still trying to rebuild the reload. Making progress, but far from perfect.
I hope to get back on the range one more time before the IDPA match on the 21st, but I think all in all this will be my best match. I have really picked up the training pace, and I can see improvement in some areas. I just have to make sure and plan my stages well.