Pages

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Recoil Springs-The Saga

I received my two new recoil springs in the mail a few days ago. I ordered a 15lb and 20lb spring from Wolff, thinking almost certainly the .40 S&W has enough punch behind it to properly cycle the handgun with the 20lb spring. I was able to hit the range on Friday, and no such luck. I had multiple malfunctions with the 20lb spring. Three in 30 rounds fired, which to me is unacceptable. All the malfunctions were the same, the front of the bullet nose dived into the feed ramp causing a failure to feed.
 
After giving up on the 20lb spring I switched it out for the 15lb spring. Same problem, just not as pronounced. Over about 100 rounds fired I had two malfunctions of the same type. I switched again to the stock spring to shoot a Dot Torture drill and had two more!!! This really surprised me, as I was almost certain the problem was the recoil spring. Now however, I am thinking it might have been the magazines. I have three older 10 round magazines that are my "training" magazines and all I had with me. I will have to retest at a later date and see if maybe it is a magazines issue and not a spring issue. I did have one malfunction like this before, but only one in over 300 rounds fired. On this range trip I had a total of 9 in just under 200 rounds.

I also understand that there may be a "break-in" period for the new springs, but I am not very accepting of break-in periods. If I buy a product and I buy it to work, any "break-in" period should be on the manufacturer, not the end user. I as an end user should not have to spend however much money on ammunition to get a product working properly before it is serviceable. Just a pet peeve of mine.
Left to Right: Stock Spring, 15lb Spring & 20lb Spring
Update: 11-1-11, order three new magazine springs to see if that is perhaps a variable in the malfunctions. Reports I have read online indicate 90 series Berettas in both 9mm and .40 run just fine on a 15lb recoil spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment