Pages

Sunday, November 20, 2011

1,196 Round Update

So I lied, instead of waiting until Monday to hit the range, I stopped in on my way to work on Saturday afternoon. I put a total of 275 rounds through the 96D, bringing my total round count to 1,196 since the beginning of September. There have not been any malfunctions other than those that can be attributed to old magazine springs and me switching around the recoil springs. It is worth noting though that with the old magazine springs and stock recoil spring it ran fine. That makes me think that I may have to replace magazines or at least magazine springs more frequently than normal. Time will tell.

There have been no parts breakages despite my best attempts through a relatively heavy amount of dryfire and a heavy live fire pace compared to my previous shooting pace. I usually don't shoot this much just because of econmic limitations, but my push for master class has caused me to step it up. I have been advised to upgrade the trigger spring to the INS unit available from Wolff to get more life from that particular part. Apparantly the stock spring gives up at around 5,000 trigger manipulations, I should be getting close. That is on the list of parts to order, as well as some more magazines and a locking block to have on hand as a spare. If my information is correct, the gun should be good for approximately 10,000 rounds but then there may be some frame cracking issues at or near the 10k mark. Considering this was a police trade it gun, I would guesstimate the total round count around 2,000-3,000 rounds. It is a 1997 production gun, but doesn't seem to have been shot much before I got my hands on it.

The below pictures were taken a couple hours after leaving the range. It has been about 500 rounds since I last cleaned or lubricated the gun. Unless something breaks before then, I will post another update at the 2,000 round mark.







3 comments:

  1. Personally, I never really liked the Wolff trigger unit's feel in the gun. While replacing the standard trigger return spring is challenging and works best if you have a homemade tool purpose built for the job, in the long run it is probably cheaper to replace the standard spring every 5k than to install the Wolff.

    The Wolff isn't horrible, it just doesn't have as much return force for fast resets. My recollection is that they also made a "heavy" version, and while it had a good reset, it noticeably added to the weight of the DA shot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will guess when I order it I will also order some standard springs just in case it doesn't work out. I really like the trigger as is, and probably won't commit to anything that changed the feel significantly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I skipped on the INS trigger spring. I couldn't find it in stock at first, then after comparing the price I decided just to stick with the stock spring. Stock spring was in stock too.

    ReplyDelete