Pages

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Intro To Me

I started shooting IDPA matches spring of this year (2011). My first match was March 19, and I placed 13th in my division (SSP) and 25th overall. Not the best showing, but it was my first match. My next match was July 16th. I placed 6th in my division and 12th overall. A definite improvement from match one to match two. The third match was August 20, and I placed 2nd in my division this time, 5th overall. I was also able to shoot the classifier for the first time on the same day. I made expert in SSP, but just barely with a time of 119.05 with 37 points down (ouch!). I dropped mega points on the 3rd stage of the classifier. More on that later. I shot my last match on September 17th and finished first in my division, 6th overall. I pretty much get beat by the same group of 5 or 6 guys each match. I may squeeze in one more match this year, but that is still up in the air.

Four matches down and one horrible attempt at the classifier. My goal is to shoot master by the next classifier, which will probably be held sometime the middle of next year. Not only do I want to shoot master in SSP, but I want to shoot it at ESP level an SSP division handgun, which means faster than 89 seconds. I have my work cut out for me!!

These are the rules I have set for myself. I cannot practice for the classifier by shooting the classifier. It is officially off limits. All of my practice has to be on other drills. I am limiting myself to only a few hundred rounds each month for practice, if that. I cannot go to the range once a week for the next six months and expend thousands of rounds of ammunition so I can get master class by next summer. Anyone can do that. This isn't an exercise in expending massive amounts of resources to attain a goal, this is about being as efficient as possible to attain the highest level of performance possible. I will track the number of rounds and the drills I use to get to master class (assuming I get there) and post periodic reports here.

The gun I will be using is a Beretta 96D. I like a challenge, and this is a good one. This isn't exactly the gun you think of when you think of competition shooting. The long DAO trigger will slow my splits, the .40 S&W cartridge also has a fair amount of snap compared to 9mm which seems to be what most people use for IDPA. Up until now a Gen4 Glock 22 has been my primary IDPA gun, out of a Safariland ALS holster. I have only had the 96D for a couple months and put around 300 rounds through it so far (the exact number escapes me at the moment). I am comfortable enough with it at this point to start shooting matches with it, but my performance is not what it is with my Glock 22. There will definitely be an adjustment period. I hope to get that out of the way rather quickly over the winter and be on my game by the first matches early next year. 


So this is the beginning of the journey. Stand by for updates. Hope I make it.

No comments:

Post a Comment